Friday, December 4, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

They said that the snow scrappers were sold out in the stores by 8:00 this morning and that there was a mad rush to the store to buy warmer winter coats. The news reported it as a historic event. Two years in a row with snow and this is the earliest that they have seen it snow here in Houston since they started keeping records back in 1870. It snowed most of the day, with 1-2 inches predicted, only a few specs actually stuck. The cold front came in and with freezing temperatures there might actually be some slick roads out tonight, but I am not going to venture out to see if it is actually true. There are just too many people down here that don't know how to drive in these conditions. Schools were released early today. Mya has been asking when we were going to see snow and when I told her that there was an actual chance that it might happen today she was elated. Today I was thankful that I am not a kindergarten teacher that had to control the mahem of all the five and six year olds. On the up side, Gerald was home early!

We put up the Christmas decorations this week. Now Mya and Keegan are so excited about Christmas. I had to laugh at my mom when she said that she had to take two vacation days this week so that she could make it till Christmas vacation. She said that if she had to hear "jingle bells" one more time she was going to scream. I guess first grade teachers don't have it easy either.


Mya lost her second tooth yesterday. Does anyone else out there have light sleepers? I have decided that it is kind of hard to be a discrete toothfairy when you only have coins to offer.

4 comments:

Erica Marshall said...

Ha, ha! I guess that's why my parents always had us put our teeth in a glass by the kitchen sink. Sounds like you just might have a semi white Christmas if you're lucky. It hasn't dropped below 45 degrees here (and that's at night). We've been enjoying the mild weather. Nope, there's no tree like an Idaho mountain tree! :( Miss you guys, have a very merry Christmas!

SweetmamaK said...

We have them put the teeth in a ziplock baggie- then the tooth fairy replaces the bag with another bag filled with coins. it's rather stealth. Funny you mentioned about the coats- when I went to Walmart b/c I forgot dog food, people had coats, mittens and hats in their carts. Mittens? Really? For one weekend of cold weather. People are crazy!!!!

The Lane Family said...

I love your Christmas tree it is so beautiful!!! One idea with the tooth fairy is to do what my parents did. My mom made a little bag that was white satin and said "for the toothfairy". Then we put our teeth in it and hung it on our door. It worked great. My mom told us we should hang it on the door because it was a lot quicker for the tooth fairy to deliver the money and get to the other kids.

Sara Birch said...

Your tree is cute! I can't believe Mya is old enough to be losing teeth...where does the time go?